Monday, October 10, 2005

Thank You, Citizens of the World

It’s the third day today since the massive earthquake hit Pakistan. According to an estimate around 17 cities got heavily affected by the quake. The majority of the affected areas are still lingering on without any material help. Pakistani government has made repeated frantic calls for more rotary wing aircrafts since most of the roads leading into these cities have been rendered useless due to heavy land sliding. The 72 hour window of opportunity is fast closing for the people still buried under tons of rubble in various northern cities where no relief teams (including Pakistan Army) have reached yet for one reason or another.
The confirmed death count as of now is somewhere around 20 – 40,000. But this is strictly an estimated body count. Authorities have no idea as to how many people still remain under the rubble hence there is a strong possibility that this no. might again catapult in a day or two when relief efforts will actually reach the far flung and the hardest hit areas. The threat of disease due to decomposing bodies buried under the rubble, fast deteriorating living conditions, lack of food and medical supplies is fast becoming real as well to the millions of people who have been stranded due to this natural disaster.
It is still heartening to see that the world didn’t turn its back on the quake victims in Pakistan. There has been a tremendous response to Pakistan’s calls for international help in carrying out relief operations. Millions of dollars are getting piled up in relief funds and many teams from across the world have landed in Pakistan to take part in relief efforts. As a Pakistani myself, I just want to say Thank You to all the people who are playing a part in on going relief efforts in Pakistan.

6 Comments:

Blogger maryam said...

its terrible what happened, but still nice to see how much people are willing to give. :)

Thu Oct 13, 09:57:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Castle_4 said...

Saad,

Thanks for reading - I am glad that in some way I'm sharing this horrible story. As you probably figured out, I am a U.S. citizen, I am studying here for one year. I visited AJK just two weeks before the earthquake hit. All, I mean every one, of the buildings I stayed at, or visited, or ate at are gone. Many of the people I met and talked to, although I didn't know them personally, have perished too. This has hit me hard! I am volunteering with an NGO at night when I'm not in school - I hope that in some way I can help. Again many thanks - Castle 4

Fri Oct 14, 12:51:00 AM 2005  
Blogger ~*Jappanun*~ said...

heyy..saad.....thankxx god u told me to visitt urz....as alwayss interestinn blog...n nice .hehe...anyway...coming back to the topicc..EQ was reallyy a shockinn newzz...n moree freeakinn is thee aftershocks still felt...hhmm...May ALLAH bless all of themm n ease their difficulties!!...n in the end!!
keep upp thee greatt workk n effortss!! jus amazinng....
talk to yaa soooooooon!!

Fri Oct 14, 07:12:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Nihilist said...

nice post khursheeday... :P

Sat Oct 15, 03:00:00 AM 2005  
Blogger Castle_4 said...

Saad,

Again, many thanks for your feedback on my blog. I'm going to try and bring anything I can from the relief and recovery effort to my pages, but only if I experience it firsthand - that's what make blogs so unique I think. I appreciate your suggestion about Word Verif. I was happy just to ignore spammers, but as more comments have started to be posted, you're right, it's annoying. I've heard too about the helo crash today - don't know what the cause was, but we had a terrible weather system come through Islamabad last night - I suspect that may have at least been involved. Stay in touch - my very best - Castle 4

Mon Oct 17, 03:18:00 AM 2005  
Blogger Extiinct said...

It's amazing to see how people have come together at the hour of need. I hope they stay together too.

Thankyou for stopping by my blog.

Wed Oct 19, 10:52:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home